OM606 Turbo European Types and Availability

Mercedes-Benz conversations only
UberGeek
Uusi tuttavuus
Uusi tuttavuus

OM606 Turbo European Types and Availability

Viesti Kirjoittaja UberGeek »

Hi Kindred Spirits

I am working on a project converting a 560SEL to turbo diesel. Although I have various 3.0 and 3.5L 603 engines and parts cars and drive a 300SDL and 5cyl TD wagon, I am more interested in building an UberCruizer by fitting a 606 turbo into the 560 since it would offer more potential power and better economy in a very fine chassis.

As you know there are not many of these engines in the US. On the other hand, according to what I've learned, there was a long run of the 606 turbo motors on the European spec cars ending with the current 3.2L CDI. This common rail injected engine would the ultimate choice since I prefer electronic injection but it may be too expensive and might also require the matching transmission as well.

I will be in the UK and France at the end of January and would like to consider shipping back a motor with wiring harness and possibly the matching transmission if it's necessary. Can any of you provide model and chassis breaks for the 606 and any insight into potential advantages or dissadvantages? If I find a late 90's engine would it be likely to convert this to common rail at a later date with harness/sensors/ and other component changes?

If this turns out to be too costly I might consider using the 603 components I have with the addition of a few Euro parts (exhaust? IP?). Also, I'm totally confused by the 3.5L mess. I find it hard to believe that these components should be considered worthless since an extra 500cc is no small increase in displacement and could potentially be put to good use with ??strenghtened connecting rods or superceeded parts??.

Any feedback would be helpful including the advantages of the 560 chassis and suspension such as vented rotors, hydropneumatic rear, and better sway bars.

Thanks

Charlie
rodion
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Viesti Kirjoittaja rodion »

Hi Charlie,

I got your mail, but I'll answer here, ok?

The OM606 was built in following cars:
W210 E300TD ( 03/97 - 05/99 )
W140 S300TD ( 06/96 - 98 )
W463 G300TD ( no clue )

Every car of that is a rare car and it is hard to get an engine.
The IP is electronic controlled wired by CAN-Bus with ABS, ESp etc.
So you'll need to take the IP from OM603.
You have to use the 722.3 transmission for that power, too...
Because you cannot use the standard 5-Gear Transmission 722.6,
it is completely electronic controlled and wired by CAN-Bus.

Forget the 3500ccm machine, it is very instable...

Best regards
Rodion
UberGeek
Uusi tuttavuus
Uusi tuttavuus

Viesti Kirjoittaja UberGeek »

Thanks for the info. This helps narrow down the choices. Although I might be wrong it seems like finding these engines is much easier in Europe.

EDIT! I just found a 99 E300 OM606 Turbo motor nearby which might work.

If I'm looking for modest gains in horsepower to reach around 250 HP without ruining the fuel economy, are there any additional pieces which can be found here or in Europe to bring this performance up a bit? I assume the modified IP would be one item and a different turbo would be the other.

Anyone know if these systems are different in Europe. HP seems to be a little higher in the UK. Are the ECU's, camshafts, or other internals different?

Any list of parts choices?

Thanks for the help.
Vastaa Viestiin