Options for 1998 E300 Turbodiesel

Mercedes-Benz conversations only
e300
Uusi tuttavuus
Uusi tuttavuus

Options for 1998 E300 Turbodiesel

Viesti Kirjoittaja e300 »

First I would like to congratulate you guys on your knowledge and innovations on the 603 and 606 motors!! Truly amazing!!

I live in the US and have a w210 1998 E300 Turbo. I am looking for some options on how to increase power without going crazy.. I understand the 606 diesel injection system is heavily electronic and alot of you guys put mechanical bits from a 603 on these motors for easier modification.

My turbo is starting to make more noise and push a little more oil past the seals than I'd like.. so it may be due for a rebuild soon (after 240,000 miles).. would I get a benefit from a bigger/performance turbocharger alone?

Ideas and suggestions are appreciated!!
HoleshotHolset
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Viesti Kirjoittaja HoleshotHolset »

Have you considered looking into getting a performance 'chip' for this car? I've seen them for the OM606 E300 diesels...but never researched them fully.

Your injection pump has a electro-mechanical governor section (hence the reason a performance 'chip' will increase power...). The maximum power crowd swap this to an older injection pump with a mechanical governor. This would probably be best accomplished by swapping out the whole injection pump for an older mechanical model rather than trying to taking two injection pumps apart to make one of them run.

Simply swapping out the turbo for a larger one without increasing the fueling will not result in a net increase in power - unless your current turbo has some serious issues.

I'm still new around here, but if it were my car - I'd monitor the oil consumption and if it gets excessive, it might be time to rebuild the turbo. Does the turbo have any 'play' in it? Take the shaft and try to move it front to back - it shouldn't have any play in this direction...whereas a small amount of side-to-side movement is expected.

Thanks,

Matt
'94 Dodge Ram 2500 - 12-valve Cummins - ~400hp at the rear wheels
'98 VW Beetle TDI - modified a bit
'00 VW Jetta TDI - wife's car (not modified much)
'96 Jeep ZJ - 3.9L common-rail Cummins / Allison LCT-1000 project vehicle
Walk-behind Ariens snowblower with 296cc 5.5hp direct injection diesel (has exhaust stack)
Vastaa Viestiin