OM 602 modification

Mercedes-Benz conversations only
Mitch H
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

OM 602 modification

Viesti Kirjoittaja Mitch H »

I have a US model 190D 2.5 turbo that I'd like to get some extra power from. How much horsepower can the stock injection pump produce if I turn up the governor and full load adjustments?

How much power can I get before the stock turbocharger becomes too inefficient?

I am also thinking about ceramic thermal barrier coatings on the pistons and cylinder head to allow for higher power without overheating, does this make a significant difference?

Is it a good idea to have the local racing engine builder open up the intake and exhaust ports in the head for better airflow through the engine?
Samuli H
Mersumies
Mersumies

Viesti Kirjoittaja Samuli H »

2.5 turbo can produce about 150-160hp with stock injection pump at full load. Intercooler is very recommendable if you increase load.

I think turbocharger can handle this 160hp but not more.

I can´t say about coatings, but people have taken over 300hp out of om602turbo without opening the engine. Efficient intercooler is a must with these numbers.
Petri K
Turbospesialisti
Turbospesialisti

Viesti Kirjoittaja Petri K »

Hello Mitch! I have that same engine what I use before that new 606 turbo engine. I never use it with out ceramic coated pistons but I believe that coating realy helps and protect the engine.
I have ported head but valves remain stock size. That head flow about 20% better than original.
With modifield exhaust manifold, intake resiver and injection pump with 7 mm elements we took out 331 hp/5000 rpm and 529 Nm/4000 rpm
Mitch H
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Viesti Kirjoittaja Mitch H »

Thank you, Petri and Samuli. Diesel cars are rare here, and modifications are mostly for gasoline engines.
Vastaa Viestiin