OM603turbo in a w201

Mercedes-Benz conversations only
canonballman
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

OM603turbo in a w201

Viesti Kirjoittaja canonballman »

Okay, since yesterday, my w201 with om603turbo is on the road. Took it for a spin to the Nurburgring, but unfortunately the Ring was closed. But it was a nice and long drive, especially since this is a 'new' car to me (never driven a w201 with 603T before)

Especially the Finns on this forum helped me build it, and sometimes I was a bit afraid of asking AGAIN some technical questions.
On the other hand, I hate to invent the wheel myself, again, and thats why it is nice to have people who can help and already done such a thing.
So to prevent, that other people begin asking the same questions that I asked, here is a sumup of the things that i did to have a OM603 turbo in my w201 (2.3-16 originally)

engine: w124 300 turbo
starter: w124 300 turbo
flywheel and clutch: w201 2.3-16
getrag dogleg manual gearbox: w201 2.3-16
aluminum engine mounts which are bolted to the engine: w124 300turbo
rubber engine mounts: w201 2.3-16
rear gearbox mount and support: w201 2.3-16
cardan axle: w201 2.3-16, but shortened by 40 mm on a turning lathe

The 3 shift bars (2.3-16) I shortened also 40 mm.
The steel plate/support which is under de gearbox rubber, is also from the 2.3-16, but the holes for the bolts that go in the chassis, are sleeve-holes now (round file)

tacho-cable can be used from a 2.3-16 also, and the clutch hose is also re-usable from the 2.3-16.

On the front of the engine: Use a steering pump from a w211 e230 or e240 gasoline car, otherwise you cannot fit a big radiator.
radiator I took is from a w124 300D NON turbo.
w124 Turbo radiator is to wide IMHO

On the top the radiator can be clamped to the original w201 chassis part. On the bottom you have to make a custom steel support system for the radiator.
Cut of the original DOWNSIDE radiator mounts of the w201 chassis, you cannot use them.
On the custom steel support, i also mounted the w124 300 turbo Oil cooler, on the drivers side, behind the bumper, on the same place where it is in a w124.

Water hoses: DIY
I used different hoses from the junkyard, cut them, shortened them, connected them (with peices of tube) in another angle etc.
I also let a friend of mine who is a plumber, bend a steel water tube, which goes from the dash-heater to a pipe beneath the turbo.

Rear diff: original 2.3-16 is WAY too short.
I used the 2,65 from the w124 300 turbo, but changed the rear cover and 3-claw to use it in the w201 chassis.
At the moment my car is mounted on 205-60-r15 tires (originally 55 height).
For track use it would be nice, but yesterday on the autobahn, I constantly felt like shifting to 5th gear, when it already WAS in 5th.
So maybe its better to search for a diff. from a w124 400E. I read somewhere that that one is about 2,42, so a bit more overdrive than 2,65. I didnt measure top speed yet, because my tacho wasnt working, but I dont think you will reach 200 KMph without overrevving with the 2,65 and getrag.
Automatic box is overdrive in top gear (and therefore better for economy and highway use), but for track use not ideal i think.

Also you can mount bigger wheels and tires (17's 18'maybe) to make up for the short drive-ratio.

Anti roll bar on the front: w124 300TDT, which is 28 mm thick.
On both sides cut off about 1,5 cm.
Steel plate mounts for the AR-bar: I cut the w124ones in half, and the w201 ones, and used the TOP sides (chassis) of the w201, and the BELOW sides (AR-bar) of the w124, and welded them together.

I used a bilstein spring&damper set for a w201 2.5turbo or 2,6 gasoline, but cannot tell much about handling yet, because my car has to be checked for steering geometry.

You can lower the weight of the front bumper drastically (underneath: impact-foam, and alu bumper bar) for a bit compensation of the heavy om603, but when you hit something: bye bye front bumper.

For the rest: vacuum system, electronics (not much), steering hoses, fuel hoses: DIY, DIY, DIY

It is nice to buy a complete DONOR w124, because you need some other parts also, and that way it would be cheaper than buying everything apart.

If I left anything behind, or you wanna know something: feel free to ask.
I'll see I I can place some pictures in the future.

Driving: I think the car isnt much slower than with the original 2.3-16 engine, and I am talking STANDARD turbo, STANDARD injection pump and NO intercooler (first upgrade), but very cheap fuel :D
In a few days I can tell a bit more about performance, by comparing to a friend's car.
canonballman
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Forgotten:

The first exhaust pipe that I use is from a w124 300turbo.
The accelerator cable is from a w201 2.3-16, but i had to modify the bracket on the engine a little bit (sawing, bending, and then welding again)

I threw the rear SLS dampers in the dustbin, so no need for a combined steering/SLS pump.
rodion
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Viesti Kirjoittaja rodion »

Hey cannonballman,

nice report! Do you have some photos of your car?
Do you have a superturbo or do you have still 147hp?

By the way, where are u from?

best regards
Rodion
canonballman
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Standard engine Rodion, only removed the ALDA, and fitted a K&N. And only one exhaust muffler (middle one).
So lets say only 147 bhp.

This afternoon i went for a spin with a friend of mine, who has a Clio Williams which is a bit tuned, and pulls 153,8 hp at the WHEELS.

Couldnt keep up with him off course (a bit more hp, and a 990 kilo car), but for a DIESEL....

Difference from 0-100 was about a second i guess, but from 100 to 160 the difference was a lot less. Almost could keep up with him. Torque, i guess.
With a IC, standard turbo, and the IP turned up (full load), Mauri says 180 bhp MAX is possible.
Then I can keep up with that piece of rust :wink:

But first some details to finish (pre-glow, engine shut of, RPM gauge and some other (interior) things), and then I am gonna fit a IC.
But I dont plan on going very far in tuning the engine. Sometime a bigger turbo and IP modification maybe, but at the moment i am also busy with fitting a M119 with M5 manual box in a w201, and i also have a 'piece of rust' lined up for preparation, and then track use.

Just a fast, daily cruiser, which is cheap to run fast, thats my goal with the w201 3.0DT.

Pictures can take a while, but maybe the only picture thats really interesting is the pic of the custom radiator&oilcooler support. I'll put a link here of the pic that was inspirational to me in this matter.

And i am from Holland, your neighbour I suppose :wink:
canonballman
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/ ... kti005.jpg

I made mine from square steel bars, and BOLTED to the chassis, and at the drivers side (left) an extension which supports the oil cooler.
Energie
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Viesti Kirjoittaja Energie »

Very nice! :) was it difficult to install the OM606?

Regards from Portugal :)
Mercedes 190 2.5TD
rodion
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Hi Energie!

He installed the OM603 Turbo. But the trunks are the same with OM606.

What's up with your OM605 powered W201?
Did you get already your new custom turbo?

I wish you all a happy new year!

Rodion
canonballman
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Yesterday spent some DIY time in the rev counter.
With some soldering, and DIY, I managed to put the w124 rev counter in the w201 dash.

First took of the needles of the small clock.
Then with a soldering iron loosened 3 thin wires.
Then unscrewed the rev counter part at the back (3 screws), and took out the counter, complete with scale (thin disc with the 1, 2, 3 etc - 6000 rpms) and needle.

Did the same with the w124 thing, and placed the w124 rev counter over the w201 clock.
Bit of soldering (3 wires), cut of a small piece of the scale (near the '1'), and at te back 3 screws, at the same place. One screw added some small rings, because it was to long for the w124 counter.

Everything in place now, and it works FINE! And you cannot see that it is a w124/DIY part!
canonballman
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

More progress:
Car was very understeered, probably because of the heavy om603. So i put rings between the shock absorbers lowest 2 fixing points (where the absorber is bolted to the 'knuckle'.

(car is on bilstein set, made for 190e 2.5d and 2.6 gasser)

That way the camber of the front wheels is a bit negative.
Went to the wheel alignment company, and everything is aligned now.
Camber on each front wheel is -2,20 (minus 2 degrees and 20 minutes).

Just took it for a spin, in the wet, and understeer is very much gone.
Very easy to get the car into a drift, where I used to do some tricks to achieve this (or sometimes NO drift, but just understeer all the way.....)

Only thing i dont like is the open rear differential. I am used to driving this car with limited slip, but had to put in a 2,65.

Think I want to fit an even taller diff (2,40 or something in that range, I believe 400E/USA), and put limited slip in it.
canonballman
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Just searched:

Diff of a (USA) 400e has a ratio of 2,24.

Seems nice!
Mauri H.
Valvoja
Valvoja

Viesti Kirjoittaja Mauri H. »

canonballman kirjoitti:Just searched:

Diff of a (USA) 400e has a ratio of 2,24.

Seems nice!
Yeah, but is is bigger diff than the one you have in your car now. So you'll need some modifications and new drive shafts.
canonballman
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Is that because of the ASD?
That the diff is wider, and therefore could only be fitted with shorter drive shafts?

Also found that some w126's have 2,24 ratio (500 or 560), but that diff looks a lot different.

In the end, maybe it would turn out to a complete DIY, custom made kinda thing I guess.

Have some 17" wheels on the shelf, but with very low tires. Maybe higher tires on them...... But that wont make such a big difference as 2,65 versus 2,24 I suppose....

Do you know anybody who has put a 2,24 in his w201, Mauri?
Mauri H.
Valvoja
Valvoja

Viesti Kirjoittaja Mauri H. »

400E diff is much bigger that ASD diff used in 300 turbodiesel. It is the same size as 500E diff.

I quess nobody has installed that to W201. You can always put some more revs to your engine, with nice 5500 rpm car should travel 245 km/h.

5000 rpm is 225 km/h with standard tiresize.
canonballman
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

I thought that speeds couldn't be true, but I calculated, and you're right:
222km/h@5000rpms with slightly bigger tires (205-60-r15, what I got at the rear)
Sorry for my doubt, shoulda known better.

But then: How can i achieve 5000 rpms with standard engine.
I dont think i will reach that as it is right now, because lack of power above 4500 rpm's
I presume the standard turbo is too small for that high RPM's??? And are there any other things on the standard engine that won't permit 5000 RPM's???
Full load adjusting is out of the question is presume, without IC???

Also, dont know if 147 bhp of the standard engine is enough to haul the w201 chassis faster than 210 km/h (in a 1600 kg w124 wagon top speed is about 195 I believe)

222@5000 seems doable, but maybe not for a long time on a highway. (Not that I would do such I thing, already lost my license twice...)

If that 2,24 diff is a lot bigger and harder to fit, then I'll think i will pass on that one...
Modifying is my hobby, but I got other mod-projects, which also circle through my brains....
rodion
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Hi,
the V8 have the same diff as R129.
Maybe it is easier to swap the whole rear axle?
Best regards Rodion
Energie
Sisäänajossa
Sisäänajossa

Viesti Kirjoittaja Energie »

Hello everyone! :D rodion, long time no see! How's everything?

Well, i installed a 250 20v Turbo engine ... 4 or 5 months ago :) I'm runing near 250hp ( 247.8hp ) with a VNT23 turbo. My injection pump was modified in Portugal ... but for more horsepower i must get a new turbo, new injection pump mods ... :) ... and guess what, almost no smoke coming out of my car :)
Mercedes 190 2.5TD
Vastaa Viestiin